Fler tips vid mental utmattning

Här kommer då och då ny information till anmälda studenter, med tillkommande kommentarer och frågor.
Mattias
Webbplatsadministratör

Fler tips vid mental utmattning

Post by Mattias »

Hej alla!

Jag har fått en del förfrågningar om mental utmattning, och tänkte här göra en översikt över de vanligaste anledningarna och de bästa tipsen om detta, samt publicera en artikel på engelska från grundaren till det amerikanska GMS-systemet, som är väldigt insatt i förhållandet mellan hjärnträning och näringslära.

Det finns många anledningar till mental trötthet vid memorering. Här följer några viktiga punkter:

1) Det är naturligt att bli trött efter ett tufft träningspass (gäller både för kroppen och huvudet). Särskilt tydligt blir detta när man inte tränat tidigare. Första kursmodelen heter just 'intensivträning' av en anledning. Vi måste väcka upp hjärnan och få den att vänja sig vid arbete. Precis som för att vanliga muskler ska utvecklas, måste vi sätta hjärnan under ett visst tryck (därav tidsbegränsningar och ökad mängd information att memorera), för att den ska bli snabbare och effektivare. Detta måste göras med en neutral emotionell inställning. Man förlorar energi av att bli arg på sig själv för att man gör fel, eller besvikelse för att man inte ännu är så bra som man skulle önska - helt onödigt. Återigen detta mantra: DET ÄR OK ATT GÖRA FEL :) Till och med alldeles nödvändigt för att man ska utvecklas.

2) Följ instruktionerna exakt. Vissa har en tendens att lägga till egna varianter och faktiskt göra det hela krångligare än vad det egentligen är.

3) Sund motion och träning av kroppen ökar den mentala kapaciteten. Ta en rask promenad innan lektionen, eller under en paus i lektionen. Genast får hjärnan ny energi. Detta har med syresättningen att göra. Så glöm inte heller att andas undertiden ni memorerar :) Det är faktiskt lätt hänt, så något så enkelt som ett par djupa andetag innan du sätter igång, kan göra susen!

4) Läs artikeln i näringslära nedan. Om det är något inom detta område du behöver förändra: Gör det inte bara för minneskursen, utan se hur det kommer att påverka din generella hälsa till det bättre.

5) Drick ordentligt med vatten! Just det, vatten! :) Inte kaffe, te eller läsk som faktiskt tar vätska ifrån de viktiga organ i kroppen. Vid minnestävlingar springer deltagarna ofta på toaletten just av att de förstår vikten av detta :)

6) Minska socker- och koffeinintaget. Själv har jag aldrig druckit kaffe, men däremot drack jag en hel del RedBull tidigare. När jag (efter mycket möda) lyckades vänja mig av med detta i samband med träningen inför min första minnestävling, blev jag helt förbluffad över den direkta ökningen i minnesprestation som följde. Energidrycker (och säkerligen kaffe också) ger inte bättre koncentration, den blir faktiskt sämre. De ger ett slags tillfälligt energirus, som gör att uppmärksamheten blir alldeles stissig och hoppar hela tiden från det ena till det andra.

7) Gör de mentala teknikövningarna.

8) Tänk på: Blir hjärnan trött, så är det ett tecken på att den har arbetat, vilket är något bra! Det är det enda sättet att bli bättre och bättre, men det kan aldrig ske över en natt :)

/Mattias

Healthy brain and right nutrition

The brain uses tremendous amounts of energy and is the most metabolically active organ in the body; it never completely rests. As a result, it has one of the highest rates of free radical production. These free radicals begin to destroy the structure of the brain, its connections and the cells. Unless you replace those damaged parts with nutrients, the brain function starts to fall off more and more.

For example Omega-3 fatty acids are replaced extremely rapidly. If you are deficient in this nutrient your brain begins to change its structure very quickly and soon loses its ability to properly function because one of its vital components is missing. It takes only two weeks of deficiency to produce that.

Americans consume an average of 129 pounds of sugar a year. 57% of it comes from processed foods. For example, teenagers are drinking an equivalent of 54 teaspoons of sugar a day just from soda.

Sugar consumption dramatically increases free radical generation in the brain. It produces cross linking of the proteins in all cells which dramatically increases the damaging effect of these free radicals, making every cell in your body age much, much faster, particularly brain cells. In some extreme cases, it can even result in permanent brain damage.

Research at the University of Connecticut in 1986 by Dr. Jane Goldman showed that sugar, equal to one Coke, produces a significant decline in mental performance. (Students were making twice as many mistakes on tests.)

Lack of Vitamin B-1 in the diet causes memory failure and depression. Consumption of a lot of carbohydrates depletes Vitamin B-1.

Vitamins C, D, E, K, A, B and carotenoids are all associated with brain function.

A study of 260 adults over the age of 60 found links between vitamins C, B-2, B-12, B-9 and concept learning.

Studies found that animal fat impairs ability to learn and remember, but healthy fats, such as Omega-3, improve depression, memory retention and thinking. This is because the brain uses an enormous amount of fatty acids for its membranes.

Aspartame, MSG, pesticides, and herbicides in food; aluminum in deodorants; fluoride in the water; and mercury in vaccines play a major role in brain toxicity and brain function decline. Excessive toxicity destroys brain cells.

What I am trying to show you is that it is almost impossible to get any significant and serious memory improvement when you don’t know what fundamental nutrients your memory and brain need and how these nutrients are related to overall health and foods. Memory Training without this knowledge is pretty much useless.

A testimonial from a student, just as an example:

Incidentally, I think I suffered from lack of B1 and or omega 3 for most of the course. I was struggling with the Memorization Master software until about lesson 22 when I started taking multi vitamins (taking care to look for those nutrients) based on Ruslan's video lesson. I went from barely being able to remember the numbers to being able to remember the numbers and the thoughts I should be suppressing while encoding literally over night.

Scot H, Mukilteo, Wa, USA

Note for Smokers

Smokers are known to want to sleep in the afternoon. In fact, they do not want to sleep but, rather, to lie down as their muscles are lacking adequate oxygen and, thus, have a hard time keeping the body in a vertical position… let alone move it somewhere. If a person sleeps in the afternoon, he will have a harder time falling asleep at night. This disorder in the cycle of sleep/wakefulness is one of the most dangerous to your body and can develop into the disease called dissynchronism. We will discuss that later in more detail.

If you smoke, you deprive yourself of ENERGY - not some abstract energy, but real energy needed every minute of your life: OXYGEN. Oxygen is the most important thing to our body. Without food, one can live for about 40 days, without water - 2 weeks, without sleep - 13 days, and without oxygen - around 2 minutes.

The organ that is most sensitive to a lack of oxygen is the brain. If the brain is deprived of blood for only a few seconds, a person loses consciousness. Thus, a smoker constantly deprives himself of oxygen and remains in what we could call a semi-conscious condition. Beware of drivers that smoke; there are a lot of them out there on the road. We all know that drinking and driving is a serious crime, but has anyone ever considered the number of accidents caused by smoking and driving?

Okay, this site is about memory and memorizing. Is it possible to memorize and be a smoker at the same time? Of course it is. Yet, with insufficient oxygen, how much does the smoker REALLY WANT to memorize or read.

Smoking excites our brain; the paralytic muscle reaction is often confused with the calming effect of tobacco. Curare (a toxic alkaloid found in certain tropical South American trees that is a powerful relaxant for striated muscles) calms even better: it will completely paralyze all muscles in the body. Cigarettes do not calm; they excite our brain and, at the same time, reduce its motional activity. Due to this paradoxical effect of tobacco, many creative people tend to smoke. On one hand, the brain gets excited; one the other hand, one’s muscles are partially paralyzed so you have less desire to get off your chair. I guess that may be an ideal combination for a creative person who decided to write a new book!

However, what does this over-excitement of the brain do? It leads to the increased instability of attention… and instability of attention is the main enemy of reading and memorizing. The increased activation of the brain can also lead to heart failure, high or low blood pressure, as well as shortness of breath. I am not referring to the ischemic illness of the heart related to oxygen starvation of the cardiac muscle which works without interruption and requires plenty of oxygen. For a smoker, the frequency of heartbeat increases - meaning that the heart will develop the pattern of beating one and a half to two times more quickly than is necessary.

If you do not want to read a book or if you are down and don't feel like memorizing anything, blame your smoking habit which affects the stability of your attention. World champions in mnemonics not only do not smoke, but also use certain plants which contain elements to calm the brain - improving its blood supply and, thus, increasing attention stability.

Just follow the surgeons' warning found on every cigarette pack. Quit this destructive habit.